Friday, December 5, 2008

Yesterday was kind of a wierd day for me at work. I was a little emotional and I don't know why. It started because of this little old man that came to the counter. I was helping him and I needed some extra information from him for is diabetic supplies so I had him fill out a personal information sheet. As he was answering the questions, he stopped then looked up at me and asked "My wife died and it is asking for my marital status. Should I put S (single) or W (widowed)?" All of a sudden I was trying to blink back tears in my eyes. I don't know why? He just seemed to have a look in his eyes like he really missed her. I have no idea how long she has been gone, and it doesn't matter...she is his wife, he will miss her every day. I told him to write whatever he felt comfortable with because it really didn't matter.
At that very moment I thougt of my grandma and how hard it must be for her somedays to be without her companion, my wonderful grandpa. It made my heart heavy to think that she is in the same situation as this man...she also has lost her best friend. I miss my grandpa...a lot! He was the VERY best. He was so much fun and being the only granddaughter, I felt so special to him. It doesn't seem possible that he has been gone for over 9 years because I don't feel like I have grown up enough for that to be possible, but I sure miss him.

So now, as I sit her with tears down my cheeks, I figure I had better lighten the mood with a funny story....sorry to ruin the moment, but I need a laugh! Me and the girls were getting ready in the bathroom yesterday morning and Brooklynn was telling me about this movie that she and Anniston had watched with my parents, "A Christmas Story". (ya know, the "you'll shoot your eye out!" show) and here is the little conversation we had.
Brooklynn: That little boy said some naughty words and his mom washed his mouth out with soap.
Me: (I don't know why I asked this question...) What did he say? (I couldn't remember what part she could possibly be talking about.)
Brooklynn: I can't say it, it's a bad word.
Anniston (at the same time as Brooklynn): Son of a bitch.
Me: Annie!!!! We don't say that!!!
Brooklynn: Well you asked, and that is what he said!

I don't know if it is really in the movie, but I will be watching for it. I will also be watching my mouth because I really don't think it is!!! OOps! I really don't have a bad mouth most of the time, but I did drop my straightening iron on the floor and it almost landed on my foot and I am pretty sure that is what slipped out! Dumb me...

5 comments:

Jayne said...

I understand about the feeling of our grandparents passing away. (As you do know) I am sure he is so proud of you. And your grandma (what i hear about ) is a strong lady. and I dont think I could be like that I would probably cry everyday.Thats a good picture of him. And about that story its the funniest thing ever kids say the darnest things!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

thanks for the tears! thanks for the laugh! i will never stop missing your grandpa, he is the star at the top of the tree.love ya!

Medrano Family said...

It is so hard not to worry about them when we lose a loved one. I worry for my mom every day since my dad passed. She seems great but you just don't know if they are just being brave. Your grandma is lucky to have you cause I know you really care about her.
I love the stories of your girls, they make me laugh. You're doing such a great job as their mother. Have a great holiday.

Erin said...

Wow, that was a tear jerker and a laugh out loud-er at the same time!!

Brooke said...

It is hard to miss our loved ones, isn't it? I can't imagine losing the one I love most. The story about your girls is so funny!