Thursday, August 21, 2008

Funny Kids....

So, we have one week left before Brooklynn starts Kindergarten. I am so excited for her. She is going to love it. We went to her assessment appointment yesterday and she did really well. I was sitting back watching her interact with the teacher and I couldn't help but be proud. She is such a good girl. I don't know how we've done it (who knows, maybe we didn't have anything to do with it) but somehow we have raised a talented and happy little lady. Ya know, sometimes I really wonder what she is like when Wade and I aren't around....I hope that she is well behaved, but at least I know that for the most part she is really quite respectful of others. I can only hope and pray that she will continue to be that way well into her teenage (aaaahhhhhh) years.
As far as any kind of education goes, I think that she will do well. What I think is so wierd is how she can be so hungry to learn new things, but when it comes to riding her bike without training wheels, she wants nothing to do with it. It is soooooooooo dang annoying. We tried to hold her seat while she rides and the entire time she looks backwards making it impossible for her to actually steer her bike. We keep telling her that she has to trust that we aren't going to let go until she is ready, but she DOESN'T care....she will not even try. So the other day, we were at Target and I came across a little contraption called the "balancing buddy". It hooks onto the back of the bike and it works as a handle to balance your child while learning to ride. I immeadiatly put it in the cart and told Brooklynn about how it worked. She was super excited and couldn't wait to get home to try it out. I was thinking that this was going to be just what we needed to get her going....NOPE!!!!! She cried and cried the entire time telling me that she was going to fall (which she couldn't because there was no way for that to happen unless I let go, which I never did). I was so mad. I can't believe how mad I was. It wasn't that she couldn't do it, it was because she wouldn't even try. I hate to admit it, but I said some pretty rude things to her out of my (ridiculous) frustration. So, if anyone has any ideas on how to turn my fraidy cat daughter into a bike ridin' chick, please....let me know. Oh, and if anyone has any ideas on how to make me less annoyed about the whole situation...fill me in, because try as I might I can't NOT get annoyed.
Anniston is doing good too. Sometimes I don't have much to say because she is still my little baby girl, but she is growing so fast as well. She will be 2 in about 2 months and it is so wierd because it feels like we just brought her home. She is such a funny little girl with a spunky personality. She thinks that she is so big and it cracks us up. She does every thing that her big sister does, and I do mean everything. A lot of times it probably isn't appropriate but somehow it makes us laugh instead of get upset. Funny how that changes once they hit 3 or so. Just as little example of inappropriate.....here is a conversation between her and Wade...

Wade (before church): I am hungry Annie, let's go have some cereal before we have to leave.
Annison: Kay (and follows Wade into the kitchen)
Wade: I think I am going to have Frosted Flakes. Does that sound good to you? Do you want Frosted Flakes, too?
Anniston: F**ky Fakes. I yant some....

Wade and I could not quite laughing. The funniest part was that Wade used to say it the exact same way when he was a little kid and it has been a family joke for a long time. So, anyway that was that and I think that although it is naughty, it is super funny.
I guess I had better go, I am being made fun of for writing so much.

3 comments:

Stacey Kannenberg said...

Happy Kindergarten!! I stumbled across your post and had to tell you that having a 15 year old neighbor girl does wonders for inspiring little ones to try to ride their bike. It's just like everything else, she will do it when she is ready. You might sit down and write a contract that says you will not let go unless and only unless she says so and of course, don't let go. Holding on to the seat instead of her works better for balance but make sure she can feel you holding her. Don't push it as she is obviously not ready or network to see who she might like to try learning to ride that bike with? I was enlisted to teach a friend's 16 year old how to drive and I was taught how to drive by our neighbor -- sometimes those outside influences make it less stressful all the way around. Happy Biking!

Brooke said...

Sierra was just like that when I wanted her to learn to ride her bike. Every time she fell, she would yell at me and cry "why did you take my training wheels off?" It was very frustrating, and I said some not nice things to her too. The best thing I think helped her was a friend who new how to ride. She finally wanted to ride because her friend new how. Sorry, I wish I had better advice. I think Landen is a freak of nature. . . or maybe he saw his sister and friends riding without training wheels and just decided to go for it.
As for the inappropriate things Annie is saying, sometimes you just have to laugh. That goes with so many things in childhood. Either that or cry. . .

Britt said...

I wouldn't push the bike thing. Wait until next year if you need to, or the year after. It's not worth the stress it puts on your relationship. But, if you would like to nudge her along without her realizing it...adjust one training wheel slightly off of the ground, just enough so it's not too noticeable, but so she's really only using one training wheel at a time. Slowly adjust each side off of the ground until she learns to ride by herself, even though she probably won't even know that she's doing it.