Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Reliable???

The other day a friend of mine was asked "Do you know Candace Webster...is she reliable?" It really got me thinking. Am I? I mean am I REALLY a reliable person? I know I would like to think that I am, but for someone to acutally ask, it made me wonder. I know that when it comes to my family, my job, and my church callings I am fairly certain that I am. But when it comes to PTA, keeping in touch with friends, and doing things that are outside of my comfort zone...I'm not so sure.

I hope (and think) that my husband and children know that they can always count on me. I will do anything for them whenever they need me. There is nothing that can change that. Nothing can stand between me and my kids.

I have always had a good work ethic. I was taught by my parents to make my self a valuable employee and so far, I have done well at that. My boss and co-workers know that I am willing to help out, in any capacity, as long as I am able.

Being the Primary President has really helped me with some of my "comfort zone" issues, but I still have a long way to go. I love teaching the children in our ward and I feel like it is such a huge learning experience for me so I do my very best each week and hopefully it is showing. I want those kids, as well as my kids to know that I am 100% committed to them and my calling.

I am the type of person that likes to do my best and I want people to know that they can count on me. That being said, I don't like to commit to things that I know nothing or little about. Like for example, I told the PTA president that I would be over the reflections program at our elementary school this year, and now I am freaking out because I know NOTHING about it and I don't know anyone that does. I am really wishing that I hadn't said "sure, I would love help!" I have tried to get in touch with someone, anyone ,that may be able to point me in the right direction and have come up empty each time. The reason I am totally bugged about this is because I don't want people to think that I am a flake and that I am UNreliable.

As far as my friends go, I only have a few close friends and 2 of them don't live anywhere nearby. There are so many days that I wish that I had someone go hang out with at the park with my kids, or just go for a coke and visit, but I don't have that and it's OK. I try to keep in touch with them, but I know that sometimes I fall (a lot) short. I treasure my friendships and even though I am not the greatest friend in the world, I do try my best.

I have always been a little uncomfortable going to places or events when I don't know anyone. I am afraid that people are gonna notice that I am all alone and somehow that will convey to them that I am a person not worth meeting. I am getting over this the older I get, but I still get a little nervous and don't speak up when I'm in situations like this. I guess it goes back to when I was a teenager (I moved a lot/went to 3 different high schools) and I wanted people to like me... so I would keep quiet because I didn't want to give them any reason to not like me. Like I said, I'm getting over it, but every now and then...

Sorry to ramble on and on but I just wanted to think out loud for a minute. Deep down, I think that I'm mostly a reliable person...I guess I just need to keep working on it...

Until next time...

4 comments:

Staci said...

You can always call me for a coke run or park run... Plus, I live in Kamas so we could meet at the Rec Center... Plus, we need to get our baby boys together. They would have so much fun!

Britt said...

I've always known that I can count on you when I need you.

You can call me anytime and I'll drink a coke while we're talking. =)

Adaire and Will said...

Well, I wish I lived closer so we could go get a coke and chat! I consider you to be reliable and one of my good friends and feel lucky to have you as a sister-in-law.

camery said...

absolutely! you are without a doubt, reliable. if you need a character reference, you just give them my name. you are honestly one of the most amazing people i know and anyone would be lucky to know you. I completely know what you mean about comfort zones. darn that self-doubt.
love you!